In 2022 as we celebrate 40 years of the Queensland Art Gallery at South Bank, it is fitting to note that when the new building designed by Robin Gibson opened in 1982, it occurred in the same year as the 100th anniversary of the birth of Vida Lahey[7], described as ‘an indefatigable advocate for art in Queensland’.[8]

While Francis Vida Lahey (1882–1968) is widely known for her oil paintings — her Monday morning 1912 (illustrated) is a highlight of the QAGOMA Collection — and as a watercolourist of distinction, her legacy as a tireless campaigner for a new Queensland Art Gallery and promoter of arts education is of equal importance.

Vida Lahey ‘Monday morning’ 1912

Vida Lahey, Australia 1882-1968 / Monday morning 1912 / Oil on canvas / 153 x 122.7cm / Gift of Madame Emily Coungeau through the Queensland Art Society 1912 / Collection: Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art / © QAGOMA

Vida Lahey, Australia 1882-1968 / Monday morning 1912 / Oil on canvas / 153 x 122.7cm / Gift of Madame Emily Coungeau through the Queensland Art Society 1912 / Collection: Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art / © QAGOMA / View full image

Vida Lahey ‘Geraldton wax in vase’ 1950s

Vida Lahey, Australia 1882-1968 / Geraldton wax in vase c.1950s / Watercolour on paper / 34.5 x 44.5cm / Gift of Rosemary Goodchild through the Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art Foundation 2015. Donated through the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program / Collection: Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art / © QAGOMA

Vida Lahey, Australia 1882-1968 / Geraldton wax in vase c.1950s / Watercolour on paper / 34.5 x 44.5cm / Gift of Rosemary Goodchild through the Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art Foundation 2015. Donated through the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program / Collection: Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art / © QAGOMA / View full image

Lahey, and fellow Queensland artist Daphne Mayo (1895–1982), had a long association with the Queensland National Art Gallery (as it was then known). Lahey was a member of its Board of Advice from 1923 until 1930. In 1929, Lahey and Mayo founded the Queensland Art Fund (QAF) and were both members of the QNAG Art Advisory Committee until 1937. During the life of the QAF, 52 works were acquired and presented to the Gallery and the Fund was instrumental in securing the Darnell bequest.

In 1936, with the support of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, Lahey established and administered the Queensland Art Library (QAL). The Carnegie Bequest of over 200 books, 34 large colour reproductions of famous pictures, and 2000 photographs covering painting, sculpture and architecture were supplemented by private donations, including those from Lahey and fellow artists. Lahey was instrumental in the success of the library, and organised lunch-time art lectures, creating an invaluable resource for arts education in Queensland.[9]

Child Art Scholarship class

A Queensland Art Gallery Child Art Scholarship class, c.1940s / Collection: QAGOMA Research Library

A Queensland Art Gallery Child Art Scholarship class, c.1940s / Collection: QAGOMA Research Library / View full image

Colour theory and design: Tone and colour analysis

‘Colour theory and design: Tone and colour analysis’, c.1920–50 / Handwritten teaching notes by Vida Lahey / Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw
Collection: QAGOMA Research Library

‘Colour theory and design: Tone and colour analysis’, c.1920–50 / Handwritten teaching notes by Vida Lahey / Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw
Collection: QAGOMA Research Library / View full image

Lahey taught art at the Brisbane Girls High School, later known as Somerville House, where she was the part-time art mistress from 1912 until 1916. In 1941, at the invitation of the QNAG Trustees, she pioneered creative art classes for children at the Gallery (illustrated). Influenced by the teaching methods Lahey observed while travelling through Europe, the United States and Canada, she wrote in a report to the Gallery’s Trustees, ‘I try not to instruct them at all but evoke from them their own ideas… children’s work should be as spontaneous as possible and give full opportunity for the sense of freedom and release which is so valuable to them’.[10]Lahey’s handwritten teaching notes, ‘Colour Theory and Design. Tone and Colour Analysis’ (illustrated) are held in the QAGOMA Research Library Collection along with photographs of the children enjoying her art classes held at the Gallery.

Throughout her life, Lahey was a strong advocate for a new dedicated home for Queensland’s art collection and, although this dream remained unfulfilled at the time of her death in 1968, we acknowledge her tireless work and advocacy for the Queensland Art Gallery and for arts education in Queensland.

Jacklyn Young is Senior Librarian, QAGOMA

View Vida ‘Lahey’s Colour Theory and design. Tone and Colour analysis’

Handwritten teaching notes by Vida Lahey

‘Colour theory and design: Tone and colour analysis’, c.1920–50 / Handwritten teaching notes by Vida Lahey / Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw
Collection: QAGOMA Research Library

‘Colour theory and design: Tone and colour analysis’, c.1920–50 / Handwritten teaching notes by Vida Lahey / Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw
Collection: QAGOMA Research Library / View full image

Vida Lahey’s slide box

Slide box and glass slide, c.1930s–40s used by Vida Lahey in her art lectures / Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw / Collection: QAGOMA Research Library

Slide box and glass slide, c.1930s–40s used by Vida Lahey in her art lectures / Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw / Collection: QAGOMA Research Library / View full image

Vida Lahey painting from nature

Vida Lahey painting from nature, c.1927 / Photographer unknown / Collection: QAGOMA Research Library

Vida Lahey painting from nature, c.1927 / Photographer unknown / Collection: QAGOMA Research Library / View full image

QAGOMA Research Library

The QAGOMA Research Library is located on Level 3 of the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA). Open to the public Tuesday to Friday 10.00am to 5.00pm. visit us in person or explore the online catalogue. Access to special collections is available by appointment.

Featured image: Left: ‘Colour theory and design: Tone and colour analysis’, c.1920–50; Handwritten teaching notes by Vida Lahey; Gift of Helen Creagh and Margaret Shaw; Collection: QAGOMA Research Library / Right: Vida Lahey painting; Daphne Mayo Collection, UQFL119; Photographer unknown; Image courtesy: The University of Queensland, Brisbane

Endnotes

  1. ^ Woolcock, Phyllis. ‘Art gallery was her elusive dream’. Courier Mail, Saturday magazine, Saturday 26 June 1982.
  2. ^ MacAulay, Bettina. Songs of Colour: The Art of Vida Lahey. Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, 1989, p.22.
  3. ^ MacAulay, p.24-5.
  4. ^ Lahey, Vida. Children’s Creative Art Class Report to Queensland National Art Gallery Trustees, 7 November 1948, p.2.

Related Stories

  • Read

    Go back in time to a sunny Winters day in Brisbane

    In Brisbane’s Wintry sunshine, Vida Lahey (26 August 1882-1968) has captured the Albert Street Methodist Church and the Central Methodist Mission’s Albert Hall in 1931-32, both casting dramatic shadows across the foreground of the painting. In 1936, the painting was included in an exhibition of Lahey’s work, with the critic for the Courier-Mail remarking on its ‘shadow pools’ and the artist’s capacity to depict ‘shade in exact relationship with brilliant lighting and architectural composition’. During the early 1930s Lahey was absorbed by sites around Brisbane and in 1931 had also painted Sultry noon [Central Station] (illustrated) focusing on the architecture of Brisbane’s Central Railway Station and recording the buildings in the distance. In Wintry sunshine (illustrated), Lahey is familiar with the structures surrounding the Albert Street Church as she had painted them grouped to the right in Sultry noon, however looking south rather than north. Like a window into the past, part of the joy when looking at paintings is taking a moment to try and identify the architectural landmarks represented, and hopefully they’re still standing. Here, we have taken a closer look into Brisbane’s past to point out some of the buildings in Wintry sunshine, if you can identify more, let us know. Vida Lahey ‘Wintry sunshine’ 1931-32 Vida Lahey ‘Sultry noon [Central Station, Brisbane]’ 1931 The artist’s viewpoint Originally, Albert Street extended from the Botanic Gardens past the Methodist Church up to Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, with the original city markets located between Adelaide and Ann Streets, known then as Albert Square, this area eventually became the site of the Brisbane City Hall completed in 1930. In 1936, the square was widened to include the area that had been Albert Street, and was renamed King George Square in honor of the late king, however in 1931-32, at the time Lahey painted Wintry sunshine, her raised viewpoint would only have been possible from the newly completed City Hall (illustrated), as anywhere in between would have been impeded by traffic. Albert Street in front of Brisbane City Hall 1935 City Hall construction with the view along Albert Street c.1928 The buildings in ‘Wintry sunshine’ The red brick church that now sits across King George Square and Brisbane’s City Hall opened on 8 November 1889, just 30 years after Brisbane became a municipality. At the time, the church’s spire with a height of 42 metres, was the tallest built structure (illustrated), and remains a defining feature of the city, though overshadowed by the City Hall’s clock tower at 92 metres high (with an observation platform at 76 metres) when it opened in 1930. In 1977 when congregations merged together to create the Uniting Church in Australia, its name changed to the Albert Street Uniting Church. Brisbane’s central business district c.1895 The building in the foreground (illustrated) is the First Trades and Labour Hall on Turbot Street, erected in 1891 (demolished 1967). The Albert Street Methodist Church can be seen to its right before Albert Hall was built, its church spire the tallest structure in the city. You can recognise the First Trades Hall painted behind the church spire in Wintry sunshine with the Second Trades Hall represented behind. Brisbane’s central business district c.1934 Albert Street Methodist Church Designed in the Victorian Gothic Revival style the Albert Street Church is one of the major works by architect GHM (George Henry Male) Addison (1857–1922), who also designed the Exhibition Building on Gregory Terrace (illustrated). From 1931 the Queensland Art Gallery relocated to the former Concert Hall in the Exhibition Building (Old Museum Building) until the Gallery moved to temporary premises in the MIM building, Ann Street before relocating to South Bank. GHM Addison Architect’s drawing of Exhibition Building, Gregory Terrace c.1890 The church is climatically adapted with a front porch and surrounded by enclosed cloisters to shade the wall from the sun and keep the interior cool, the aim was to create a ‘light cool and cheerful mood to counter the inconvenience of a semi-tropical climate’. The stained glass windows are designed by RS (Robert Skerrett) Exton and Gough, renowned painters, decorators and glaziers, their reputation for high quality work saw commissions for prestigious projects. Albert Street Methodist Church 1934 Albert Street Uniting Church 2024 The buildings next to the church on the left, located on the corner of Turbot and Albert Streets is Albert Hall (1901) (illustrated), and the former Main Roads offices (illustrated), both demolished for Brisbane’s first skyscraper and tallest building, the 26 story State Government Insurance Office (SGIO) building, including the SGIO Theatre, completed in late 1970 (illustrated). The new building incorporated a 600-seat theatre which replaced Albert Hall, opened in 1969. Main Roads building 1920s SGIO building viewed across King George Square 1978 Albert Hall The medium-sized Albert Hall, Brisbane’s new church hall and theatre was built in 1901 primarily to accommodate the Sunday school scholars and for other church purposes, before becoming a popular concert venue for musicians, the local performing arts scene, and a range of diverse community events. View over Albert Street Methodist Church c.1931 Albert Hall 1967 First Trades and Labour Hall 1891 Among the buildings in the background is the original Trades and Labour Hall building (1891) in Turbot Street (illustrated). By the 1920s the trade union required larger premises and a new site was chosen not far north on the same street at the intersection of Upper Edward Street. Both buildings can be seen behind the church spire. Second Trades Hall building c.1928 Turbot Street Opposite the old Trades Hall building is the YMCA Sailors Department building (illustrated) and the Brisbane Gymnasium (illustrated) above the high rock cutting to the west of King Edward Park and Jacob’s Ladder — the steep set of steps beside the new Trades Hall Building. The Sailors building was primarily for the use of sailors visiting the...
  • Read

    Go back in time when a paddock became a Brisbane township

    The suburb of Kingston, in the City of Logan to the south of Brisbane, was named after one of the first European land owners, Charles and Harriet Kingston. Kingston and his family arrived in Australia from England in 1857 and eventually the couple took up a selection of Crown land in 1872. Early industry was timber, supplying the local sawmill, and once enough land was cleared, expanding to farming of cotton and sugar, then branching out to dairy and fruit groves with the Kingston’s specialising in grapes and wine. The Kingston’s successfully developed their property and then enjoyed even greater prosperity when the railway line from South Brisbane reached the area by 1885. In October that year, 72 subdivided blocks of land named ‘Kingston Railway Station Estate’ were advertised to be auctioned. A poster map advertising the auction shows that the blocks were close to the station and a selling feature were the picturesque views from both the railway and the estate. The first railway in Brisbane was built in 1879, when the line from the western interior was extended to the city from Ipswich to Roma Street Station on the opposite side of the Brisbane River. South Brisbane Station on the corner of Melbourne and Grey Streets — originally known as Melbourne Street Station until 1891 with the opening of the current building — was intended as a temporary terminus, pending an extension of the line across the river, however this was not implemented until 1978 via the Merivale Bridge into Roma Street. Melbourne Street Railway Station c.1891 Kingston Railway Station Estate sale by auction poster 1885 When the Kingston’s returned from a visit to England in 1888, local artist Oscar Friström was asked to record their success with Kingston Estate, South Coast Line 1888 (illustrated). The family went on to build ‘Kingston House’ overlooking the railway station in 1890, which with its large ballroom and tennis court, became the social centre for the district. That same year, the township was officially named Kingston, formalised by the Surveyor General, however the name was already in use after the railway went through. Oscar Friström ‘Kingston Estate, South Coast Line’ 1888 Trains at Roma Street Station c.1880-90 Detail of the train depicted in ‘Kingston Estate, South Coast Line‘ Oscar Friström A self-taught artist, Carl Magnus Oscar Friström (1856-1918) produced this high-vantage view of the Kingston’s estate featuring a circular paddock with post-and-rail fence and an orchard of fruit trees as cattle graze in a meadow nearby. A band of thick scrub forms a uniform barrier in the background confirming that the productivity of orchard and farm have been won from taming the Australian bush. Born on the island of Sturkö off the south coast of Sweden, after Friström arrived in Australia he settled in Brisbane in 1884 where he first exhibited landscapes and recorded clients properties, but he soon became recognised as Queensland’s premier portrait painter, and turned to producing portraits of his clients and social identities rather than their properties. In 1885, he went into a partnership with the Elite Photo Co., and four years later opened his own studio in Adelaide Street and then in Queen Street by the following decade. During the 1890s, he was the art master at All Hallows’ Convent School. Friström is an important figure in the history of Queensland art as he was, with LWK Wirth (1858 –1950) and Isaac Walter Jenner (1836-1902), co-founder of the Queensland Art Society in 1887 and a member of the Society’s first committee. The Queensland capital had few professional artists at the time and not until 1895 did the Queensland National Art Gallery open at temporary premises in the old Town Hall on Queen Street. Queensland National Art Gallery, Brisbane Town Hall 1895 Oscar Friström c.1911 Brisbane in the late Nineteenth Century Brisbane was proclaimed a municipality in 1859 and became the capital of the newly independent Queensland that same year, however it was not gazetted a city until 1902. Originally the neighbouring City of Ipswich was intended to be the capital, but it proved to be too far inland. Between 1881 and 1891 metropolitan Brisbane’s population grew from 37,000 to 100,000, and at the time Oscar Friström painted Kingston Estate, South Coast Line, Queensland’s first permanent Customs House (1886-89) opened in Queen Street to collect duties on imported products as Brisbane became a busy port city. As documented by JA (Joseph Augustine) Clarke and Isaac Walter Jenner (both illustrated), the Brisbane river had nearly continuous wharves surrounding the Customs House from Petrie Bight to the Botanical Gardens, and opposite from Kangaroo Point to the Victoria Bridge at South Brisbane where the railway wharves were a terminus for the South Brisbane railway line that extended to Kingston. Customs House 1889 Joseph Augustus Clarke ‘Panorama of Brisbane’ 1880 Isaac Walter Jenner ‘Brisbane from Bowen Terrace, New Farm’ 1888 Curatorial extracts, research and supplementary material compiled by Elliott Murray, Senior Digital Marketing Officer, QAGOMA